Monday, August 25, 2008

I think Love is like the 1 pounder burger at Cheeburger, Cheeburger....

...it looks so good on the plate, but in the end it's hard to swallow. Plus, it's hard to fully grasp it all.

I mean, what is love really, other than a certain upcoming indigestion? Is it simply a word that defines a state of giddiness towards another human being or a much admired possession? Is it just a fleeting emotion that is here then gone quicker than a Floridian summer rain? Is it an emotion at all? Can it be trusted? Should it be preceded with a caution?

I find it interesting that out of all the feelings and emotional states human being have, love seems to be the one thing we desire the most. In fact, love can even take precedence over our most basic physical needs. If someone feels unloved they may deprive themselves of sleep or food. They may lose focus at work or stop caring about life in general. Why is something so measly as love so seeming important to us?

I believe that it is because love is at the very center of our existence and why we are here in the first place. I am a Christian and I was raised that way. However, love (which I believe is the core message behind Christianity is something I've only really been seeking to understand for about the past year.

I don't know what your thoughts are on God or Jesus or Christianity (they may be negative, that's ok my thoughts are sometimes negative too) , but I genuinely believe that the Bible was written by men much smarter than myself and I have learned a lot about life just by seeking answers in their letters.

So, for this past year I have been reading the Bible (mainly the New Testament) in pursuit of this truth about love (after all, that's what Christianity is supposed to be about, right?). You know what I found out.....Love is the whole point of the Bible. I mean cover to cover. What?!

You have the first half, known as the Old Testament. Which has tons and tons of stories about a God/Creator who loves and guides a nation of people, Isrealites. Time and time again God intercedes to show these often stubborn people that he loves them very much and wants them urgently to get to know him.

Then, the second half of the story: the New Testament. God, who stills yearns for his people, Isreal, to follow the path he directs decides to go even further in humbling himself by giving them an even more real and simple guide to fellowship with him, Jesus. This guy exuberates love. In fact, if you go through the four letters that detail his life and try to pick out every time he mentions or acts out the word love you'll have a hard time keeping track. This guy never misses an opportunity to show kindness or compassion to someone else, often times to a stranger.

When asked what he thought the most important thing (commandment) was to live by his answer was two-fold: Love, and Love. Love God. And Love everyone else.

That was his whole answer.

So, again, what is love? Does is even matter?

I think love is more than an emotion we feel or don't feel. Love is a choice. Love is an action. Love is loving the unlovable. Love is simply that. Never ceasing. Uncompromising.

In the words of Jesus: "Even sinners love their friends." "Love one another."

You know, I haven't lived a considerably long, but I've lived long enough to know this:

Loving someone just because you choose to, ends in nothing but blessing.

Man, if you make a point to let someone know (even a complete stranger) that they matter, you will never feel like you do not matter. Christian or not.

That's a guarantee.

No comments:

Post a Comment